top of page

Flood Insurance

Whats covered?

Talk to us so we can discuss what is and isn’t covered by your policy. Know what is and is not covered. Contents are not covered by a building/structure (flood) policy. To cover your belongings or contents within a building, you'll need to add contents coverage to your existing home policy. Damage caused by a sewer backup is only covered by flood insurance if it's a direct result of flooding; the damage is not covered if the backup is caused by some other problem. 

  • Contents and building coverage are purchased separately but there are always separate deductibles. Unless you have contents coverage, your flood-damaged contents are not covered.

Whats not covered?

  • Damage caused by moisture, mildew or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner or which are not attributable to the flood

  • Damage caused by earth movement, even if the earth movement is caused by flood

  • Additional living expenses, such as temporary housing, while the building is being repaired or is unable to be occupied

  • Loss of use or access to the insured property

  • Financial losses caused by business interruption

  • Property and belongings outside of an insured building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs and swimming pools

  • Currency, precious metals and valuable papers such as stock certificates

  • Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts 

What else should I know?

As with other insurance plans, a higher deductible will lower the premium you pay but will also reduce your claim payment, meaning you will need to cover the difference out of your own pocket. Sometimes a mortgage lender will set a maximum amount for your deductible.

Is there a 30-day waiting period?

Typically, there’s a 30-day waiting period from date of purchase until your policy goes into effect. Here are the exceptions:

  • If a building is newly designated in the high-risk Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and you purchase flood insurance within the 13-month period following a map revision, there is a 1-day waiting period.

  • If you purchase flood insurance in connection with making, increasing, extending or renewing your mortgage loan, there is no waiting period.

  • If you select additional insurance as an option on your insurance policy renewal bill, there is no waiting period.

  • If a property is affected by flooding on burned federal land and the policy is purchased within 60 days of the fire-containment date, there may be no waiting period. Waiving of the waiting period is determined at the time of claim.

What is an elevation certificate and why might I need one?

We may ask you for an Elevation Certificate (EC). This certificate verifies your building’s elevation compared to the estimated height floodwaters will reach in a major flood in a high-risk flood area.

It’s also beneficial to ask if your community participates in the Community Rating System (CRS), because this could mean local officials already have a copy of your EC on file. Policyholders with insured properties in communities that participate in CRS may be eligible for policy discounts.

A property owner in a high-risk flood area always has the right to purchase an EC, which may reduce your flood insurance premium. Please contact us for further information.

bottom of page